The Green Flux competition is an opportunity for students to submit multi-media artwork (photography, spoken word and digital art) depicting themes of sustainability and environmental social change at UBC. Green Flux looks for students that are interested in exploring ideas of innovative art forms and collaboration. The submissions will be presented on LED signage throughout campus as cool art interruptions, and at a final exhibition to display their work on November 8th at the BC Hydro Theatre at CIRS.
Where did the idea to join photography, spoken word poetry, and sustainability come from?
The original SEEDS project was based on the concept of “photovoice,” which believes ndividual storytelling through images can lead to social change. As Bachelor of Media Studies students, we have a strong interest in photography, communication and storytelling, and the idea for merging domains arose from our interdisciplinary program.
Details of the exhibition opportunity:
Imagine the future of sustainability – participate in Green Flux, a student-led media art exhibition and competition that seeks to foster creative dialogue around the future of sustainability.
Submissions are accepted from the UBC community, including students, faculty and staff. Submitted art will be evaluated by a panel of judges and select submissions will be presented at an exhibition event on November 8, 2017 at the BC Hydro Theatre located in the Centre for Interactive Research on Sustainability.
The following types of submissions are welcome:
- spoken word;
- other digital art.
Submissions will explore individual perceptions and interactions with sustainability through a creative lens, with an aim to focus our attention on examples that can shape and inspire our understanding of what the future of sustainable communities looks like. Abstract, experimental and literal interpretations are welcome.
Submissions are accepted from September 12th to October 15th, 2017.
- Short artist statement;
- A high-resolution PDF or JPEG for photography (minimum 1920×1080 or similar format);
- MP3 or PDF for spoken word.
- UBC staff, students, and faculty from any discipline are encouraged to apply.
Judging and Awards
A panel of judges will evaluate and select a first, second and third choice. Exhibit attendees will be able to vote for and select a “People’s Choice” submission.
- Appropriateness for theme.
- 1st place: $100 UBC Bookstore gift card;
- 2nd place and People’s Choice: $75 UBC Bookstore gift card;
- 3rd place: $50 UBC Bookstore gift card.
In addition to above prizes, select participants will also benefit from the following:
- Participation in the exhibit event and an opportunity to present and/or perform work;
- Printed copies of their art;
- Feedback from a panel of judges on the creative work submitted;
- Digital signage and digital distribution of winning submissions;
- Opportunity to be profiled on UBC Sustainability channels;
Participants give permission to UBC Sustainability and partner channels to distribute digital versions of select art submissions through various digital channels as part of recognition and promotion efforts.
We are looking for poems, films, audio and beyond! Check out our vision about the project here.